Re: odd behavior of symlinks on Win XP SP2

skoehler@upb.de said:
> He clearly complained about MS-Software that  cannot handle
> cygwin-created links, and you're talking about cygwin  understand its
> own symlinks

correct. thanks.

cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com said:
> Apologies.  I took the word "altogether" to mean "completely" but
> obviously missed the meaning implied by "from the windoze
> perspective".

accepted & understood. thanks.

So, again, from the perspective of having cygwin-created symlinks that
transparently behave as windows shortcuts, they (cygwin-created symlinks) are
presently half-broken on XP.  And if MSFT were to for some reason align their
explorer code to match their Open-Save dialog code wrt how they treat (and
discriminate between) shortcuts, cygwin-created symlink/shortcuts would likely
quit working entirely *in the windows world* (they'd of course likely to
continue to work fine in the cygwin world). If this were to come to pass and
not be addressed by the cygwin community, then it wouldn't make any sense to
have the the default (or even option) of creating cygwin symlinks as
"winsymlinks". This would be a loose, imv.

thanks,

JeffH