Re: SSH client hang running uncompressed tar on various servers

Hi Corinna,

Sorry, I threw that off a bit. I've done some more investigation.

in summary: ssh run when forked from java hangs when attempting to
output. I don't know if that's cygwin's problem or java's - but if you
have any ideas for how I could debug it further than below, I'd
appreciate it. Here's what I've found.

Other commands that had output also failed (rsync, mkdir when basedir
not exist). The tar command I included originally (tar xf) was when I
was experimenting, and is now succeeding - but the normal tar I run
always fails (xUvf - though, xvf and xUf also fail because both have
output). The tar is only 29k, but I think its irrelevant (it happens
for any tar).

What's weirder: it works when run from bash, but fails when forked
from Java (actually, via the program Ant). If I fork  "bash -c 'set'",
the environment seems normal, so I assume ssh is also getting the
normal environment. If I fork bash from java and run ssh, it still
fails. If I run ssh from cmd.exe, it succeeds.

So it only seems to be the execution of ssh forked within java when
there is output from the ssh server that is a problem.

Thanks,
Brett