Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.

> Personally, I thought that them doing this was a sign of a more
> innocent time, where we didn't have to worry about every single
> word that came out of our mouth (or keyboard).
>
> Seriously guy, your type is one of the primary reasons why the
> internet is getting - its not quite there yet, but getting - to be
> *no fun*.
> It was built on freedom and free-thinking, and the very fact that
> this conversation is taking place is a testimony to how bitter it
> has become.

<rant>
I tend to agree with you on that.  I was on the internet since the
middle 90s, and even then, you could start to see new
people/businesses forcing their own views on the rest of the Internet,
that had been there long before them, and continue to be there long
after they are bankrupt/dead/gone/kaput.

Look back, and see who developed the BSD operating systems, and even
Linux.  We are talking about people who may not have been the most
socially acceptable people, and may have had their own ideas about
what is funny, and their work shows this.  Have you ever looked at the
source code for some of the major projects out there that have been
around for more then 5 or 6 years?  The code is sprinkled with stuff
you wouldn't want little kids reading.

That is their right to do that - it is their internet just as much as
you or I.  Parents have a right to control what their kids
do/see/hear/etc, but, that right only extends to the stuff they own
and that doesn't step on the rights of other people.   Frankly, I find
some of those rude and crude things in limericks funny, and
apparently, I'm not the only one here who does.

As grown adults, who are capable of making our own decisions, we need
to not let our religious views, or personal views for that matter,
impede on others who have their own views.  As long as you include a
warning somewhere, I dont see any problem with the package having that
stuff.  It would be one thing if the package was labeled SUPER CLEAN
AND POLITICALLY CORRECT and it had it, but come on people.  Anyone who
has done any kind of sysadmin work or programming knows full well
whats going to be in the fortunes file and the risks involved.

Its like going into a NOC with a bunch of sysadmins/sysops/netadmins
and expecting them to keep the language clean.  It just aint gonna
happen.  Its the culture, and its accepted within this culture too.

The fact that I have to be ultra careful these days how I word my
articles or short stories or novels that I post online bugs the living
crap out of me.  This is not the internet I remember.

</rant>

Anyway....

How bout those Mets?  :)

--