Re: Cygrunsrv and other random Cygwin apps, 100% CPU

Yep, it looks like CSRSS.EXE is taking whatever is leftover from the Cygwin-related task.

I did _MUCH_ web surfing last night, looking for information pertaining to the CSRSS.EXE and it looks like it's basically responsible for handling the Win32 subsystem. I tried tweaking this and that by adjusting the heap sizes but no change, so I put the registry entry back to default.

However, I have discovered this little tidbit.

It appears this behavior is limited the Cygwin processes you have access to. What I mean by that, is my account is an admin-level account, so of course I have the ability to stop/start services, which gives me access to the SSHD process.

However, my wife's account is just a user account, and she does not. This problem only pops its ugly little head out if I start a Cygwin process under her account, say Bash, or Rxvt, or XWin, etc. Then I start random Windows applications until the max-CPU issue comes to, and the CPU spike only occurs with one of the Cygwin process I started with her account and the CSRSS.EXE.

Now, if I don't actually start any Cygwin processes, which is the norm for my wife's account as she doesn't use Cygwin for anything, then the issue never pops up under her account at all. I launched Windows app. after Windows app. and it never occurred.

On another note, the Administrator account on the machine has the same problem my account has, that being the ability to cause any currently running Cygwin process and the CSRSS.EXE to max the CPU. So I guess we can safely say it's not related to one account profile, I would assume.

Are there previous Cygwin builds available for download? Maybe downgrading everything, one version at a time, would help me figure out what version of everything I was using prior this weekend's update, and this in-turn might help the incredible Cygwin programmers figure out what's changed since whatever that version may be, and now. Maybe? Sounds sensible anyways, though I only dabble in programming, so... :-)

The search for a fix continues.... LOL :-)

---
Chris Wilson

Steven E. Harris wrote:

Yes, I saw the same thing last night, after having updated my Cygwin installation over the weekend. In my case I was toying around with Exact Audio Copy, with bash, XEmacs, and a cygrunsrv-hosted exim instance running but more or less idle.

Did you notice that csrss.exe was also eating a lot of CPU time? Once
I stopped all my Cygwin-related processes, csrss.exe calmed back down
and all was well.