Re: Cygwin package management

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 05:11:06PM +0100, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
> >>Of course.  Otoh, providing a unix environment and then expecting
> >>people to resistancelessly accept a setup.exe gui to do package
> >>management is asking for trouble ;-)
> >
> >I second that!
>
> As usual, it seems that a point was missed.  "Seconding" doesn't do
> anything here.
>
> If you want to add a command-line package management tool to cygwin
> nothing is stopping you.  Propose it like a normal package.  I would
> insist that anyone who does this vows to stick around for the support
> problems that is sure to follow however.
>
> I even wrote one of these myself but then quailed at the thought of
> scores of "it not work, i need install cygwin, u fix?" email that
> would be sure to follow if I actually formally introduced it.

I'd like to suggest that you all look at www.pkgsrc.org. It is a
cross-platform packaging system. I am trying to get it to work under
Cygwin (and it already works under Interix and maybe other Unix flavours).

Once I get the cygwin support committed, it will be an easy way to add,
remove and manage thousands of software packages. (Pkgsrc has over 5000
packages).

If anyone is interested in helping me, please let me know. (I am a Pkgsrc
developer and use it under a few different operating systems already.
The Pkgsrc team supports it under different operating systems.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/