Re: mapping root directory to SystemDrive / CurrentDrive (documentation change needed)

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:45:24 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:00:08PM +0200, Gernot Hillier wrote:
> >Am Dienstag, 3. August 2004 13:50 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >>Keep in mind that this only happens if / isn't mounted -> back to
> >>undocumented behaviour.
> >
> >Well, this is not undocumented.  The case without mounts is explicitly
> >documented on http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html which says
> >"By default, the POSIX root / points to the system partition [...]".
>
> Joshua, would you mind fixing the documentation?

Well, this is embarrassing but I'm just getting caught up on last
August's email. How does this sound?

Since Windows uses drive letters instead of a single filesystem
root, the POSIX root <filename>/</filename> must be set to a directory
in the Windows file system using the <command>mount</command> command.
Without a <filename>/</filename> mount, Cygwin processes cannot
distinguish between the Windows CurrentDrive and SystemDrive.