cygnome 1.4 question about initial installation

Hi,

I wanted to install cygnome (1.4), and did it directly though cygwin setup.
I have no experience in this, so all I did was get the packages and
installed them directly though setup.

Now to run it, I call startgnome. It opens a XWindow, then I see a beautiful
picture and it starts to load different desktop components like sawfish etc.
Finally it gives the hints window. But after I exit it, I get nothing more
and an hourglass sign shows up (and persists forever). I don't get the gnome
desktop or anything more.

I am not sure if I am supposed to install any of Steven's patches. Can
anyone guide me as to what to do.

I don't want to mess around too much because I was able to get kde to work,
however it is awfully slow and eats up too many resources, I was hoping
gnome would be smoother.

Thanks