Re: Anyone got latex2html to work on cygwin?? Fatal (use l2hconf): l2hconf.pm

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, bill BW wrote:
>

> > $ latex2html foo.tex
> > Fatal (use l2hconf): l2hconf.pm did not return a
> true value at (eval 7) line 2.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 7) line
> 2.
> >
> > I look at the file l2hconf.pm, and I
> > see this as first 3 lines:
> >
> > #!/perl
> > # LaTeX2HTML l2hconf.pm
> > # $Id: l2hconf.pin,v 1.17 2002/06/15 22:46:36 RRM
> Exp $
>

> You should look at the whole file, to see what the
> last returned value is.
> The last line of the file is usually "1;".

Yes it is. I did not touch the file l2hconf.m

> > more information:
> >
> > $ which perl
> > /usr/bin/perl
> >
> > $ perl --version
> > This is perl, v5.8.5 built for
> > cygwin-thread-multi-64int
> >
> > Why does it say '64int' there? my machine is
> > 32 bit P4.
>

> Try it first with the Cygwin version.  Fixing
> l2hconf.pm should help.
> HTH,
> 	Igor
> --

but what is wrong with l2hconf.pm?

This is what I tried now:
I looked at latex2html to see where it calls
l2hconf.pm, it is at lines 120:130

------ from latex2html ------

# Local configuration, read at runtime
# Read the $CONFIG_FILE  (usually l2hconf.pm )
if($ENV{'L2HCONFIG'}) {
  require $ENV{'L2HCONFIG'} ||
    die "Fatal (require $ENV{'L2HCONFIG'}): $!";
} else {
  eval 'use l2hconf';
  if($@) {
    die "Fatal (use l2hconf): $@\n";
  }
}

--------- end latex2html cut ---------

so to test this, from cygwin shell I typed just
the command that calls l2hconf as follows:

---- start test -----

$ perl
eval 'use l2hconf';
if($@) {
 die "Fatal (use l2hconf): $@\n";
}

Fatal (use l2hconf): Undefined subroutine
&main::ignore_commands called at l2hconf.pm line
1216.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1) line 2.

----- end test --------

Ok, so the real problem is really at line 1216 in
l2hconf.pm. so I went to line 1216 there, and
this is the content starting from line 1216:

---- line 1216 to line 1217

&::ignore_commands( <<_IGNORED_CMDS_);
htmlrule # [] # \$_ = join('',"<BR><HR>",\$_)

----- end lines 1216 to line 1217 ----

I can include the whole file if needed, but
this is out of the box, did not touch it, and
here is the text of the this file on  this
URL, someone posted it for a problem:

http://www.mail-archive.com/latex2html@tug.org/msg00372.html

so, any ideas what to do now? I am very bad at
perl, having writting may be 10 lines in perl
all of my life. and this thing should work as
is, unless something wrong with perl build on
cygwin?

any more information I can provide on this?

thank you,
Bill