Re: Error with managed mount point.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:21:51 -0500, Larry Hall wrote:

>At 03:48 PM 12/15/2004, you wrote:
>>Running strace pointed me to the proper place to look
>>for the error.
>>
>>However, the proper fix is maybe more of a philosophy
>>issue.
>>

>No, they need to be removed.  Windows behavior is to ignore one or more
>'.'s at the end of a file so we're stuck with that in normal Cygwin-working
>mode.  I actually haven't delved into the inner workings of the managed
>mount option code but if there's going to be a place to hang onto and
>translate the trailing '.'s, it would be in this special case code.  Without
>looking at more than just the patch lines, I'm guessing that the patch you
>made (submitted to the Cygwin patches list) to path_conv::check() are
>going to be in too generic of a spot to be the right thing to do for just
>managed mount mode, though I could be wrong.  I'll try to find a minute
>tonight to comment further.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point.  If you are going
to have a truly managed filesystem, then it needs to handle all characters,
and not arbitrarily remove/drop any characters.
Consider the trivial tar file I've attached.  Each README file will
contain the directory heirarchy under which it can be found.   The tar file
was created on a SunOS box, but should be portable.
Now, if you arbitrarily drop the trailing dots, you will wind up with less than
half of the README files, which for a real application, could be a badness.