Re: Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")

I was using Microsoft Outlook Express, which does not support format=flowed.

Turns out this is not entirely true.

Outlook Express *does* have some support for format=flowed, but not as much as Thunderbird.

Using the default setting of "Encode Text Using" = "None" (as opposed to "quoted-printable"), it will generate messages with format=flowed, and it will happily re-flow quoted replies so that they fit into the 78 (or whatever) columns.

However, it does not re-flow format=flowed messages for display, which kind of wastes half of the point of format=flowed. I think this may be linked to the fact that it doesn't do anything clever with the way is displays quoted messages; you just see the original ">" characters.

Thunderbird *does* re-flow format=flowed messages for display, and quoted messages are shown using quote bars.

So Outlook Express with the default settings would be list-friendly but not user-friendly.

But Thunderbird is list-friendly *and* user-friendly.

(This message will be sent using Outlook Express with the default settings. It'll be interesting to see how it appears in the resultant e-mail, and also in the list web archive.)

Bill --
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this e-mail and you are not a named addressee, please inform us as soon as possible on +44 118 901 2999 and then delete the e-mail from your system. If you are not a named addressee you must not copy, use, disclose, distribute, print or rely on this e-mail. Any views expressed in this e-mail or any attachments may not necessarily reflect those of Tao's management. Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. Tao makes no representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments. Please note that for the protection of our business, we may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).