configuring X, backspace, ....

Problem:

backspace, cntrl-Z, cntrl-D, Norwegian characters. ....

Weirdness.

starting cygwin bash shell we have:

backspace, cntrl-Z, cntrl-D but no Norwegian characters.

yet if  I start python or jython interactively we have Norwegian characters !!!

However when I start X then xterm nothing works:

No Norwegian characters, no cntrl-Z or cntrl-D (can't stop jython interperter), backspace is /b(8) syntax error, ....

Attempted solutions.

I generated the appropriate key mappings with xkeycaps but xmodmap Xmodmap.no does nothing

Other solutions:

Tell my boss to shove it and let some other poor sap develop for Windows :)

Additional info

Windows XP service pack 2

X started with
X :0 &
export DISPLAY=:0
pekwm.exe  # a small windows manager

also in /etc/profile I change my $HOME directory to /home/Chris from the 'Documents and Settings' ...

Anyone has similar problems,

Chris