Re: sshd in Windows 2003 server

At 12:34 PM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Larry Hall wrote:
>> >
>> > The shortcut for all of that process is to run the below:
>> >
>> > mount -f -s -b "<DOS path to Cygwin installation directory>/bin" "/usr/bin"
>> > mount -f -s -b "<DOS path to Cygwin installation directory>/lib" "/usr/lib"
>> > mount -f -s -b "<DOS path to Cygwin installation directory>" "/"
>> >
>> > FWIW, following the reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
>> > would have given the list this information in your initial post.  In other
>> > words, there's good stuff at this page. :-)
>>
>> hmm... what if there was a simple shell script added to base-files, such
>> as "mksysmounts" (and corresponding "mkusermounts" too I suppose) that
>> would change any system mounts to user mounts, and vice versa.  (Or
>> perhaps a single script with several options.)  Then the response to "I
>> installed 'For me only'" would be "just run mksysmounts" instead of
>> "reinstall" or "modify these paths as appropriate and run these
>> commands".
>
>Good idea.  I'd call the scripts "remount_as_system" and "remount_as_user"
>or something...  And I would also use the
>
>eval "`mount -m | sed ...`"
>
>trick that I posted earlier, instead of hard-coding the paths into the
>scripts.

I have no problem with this but if we're offering suggestions on how to
fix the actual problem, then I'd go to the source and change the install
scripts or maybe even 'cygrunsrv' to provide a warning and/or 'fix'.
That should reduce the number of people having problems running service
to only those that don't have permission to do so, in which case we can't
help them anyway.

Holliston, MA 01746