Re: PostgreSQL: Bad system call

Markus Hoenicka schrieb:
Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> was heard to say:
The cause is that the internal cygserver msg buffer is allocated
read-only. (IsBadWritePtr() fails)
Reason unknown. gcc? cygwin?
Solution pending.

Szteps to reproduce:
cygserver &
ipcs
=> Bad system call

Oh great. I'm afraid fixing this is above my head. But at least I'd like to help track down the culprit. The interesting fact is that I've downgraded all relevant packages that I can think of (PostgreSQL, cygwin1.dll), rebooted the box, stopped cygserver, but still get the error. How can I hose a Cygwin installation that not even downgrading helps? What is it that I did not downgrade that causes the problem? Does setup.exe keep a log of what I precisely up/downgraded?

I do like PostgreSQL on Unix a lot, but I really hate to ever touch setup.exe
because more often than not I'm left with a broken database engine.

Corinna just answered to this problem, which I suspected to be a cygserver problem, but she said that the caller is responsible for allocating the msg buffer, so it should be a postgresql problem.

I'm still scratching my head also, because I'm not really convinced, because even cygserver & ipcs fails,
but I'll try to step through this again.

Several people could successfully compile and run the latest postgresql See e.g. the postgresql buildfarm with gcc-3.3.3. http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl (Gibbon)
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/