Re: User name with spaces and Cygwin web site suggestion

Rodrigo de Salvo Braz wrote:
id -un, as it is the case with ssh. Did I miss something or renaming the
account really doesn't do anything to solve the problem?

Did you rename the actual account using the Management Console (Control Panel->Administrative Accounts->Computer Management), or did you change the user name in User Accounts (Control Panel->User Accounts)?

The latter doesn't actually rename the account itself - it merely adds a "Full Name" setting which is displayed by the Windows GUI instead of the actual account name.

Things like the location of your home directory will still be governed by the actual user name.

I'm pretty sure the Management Console will "do the right thing" and actually change the account name properly, but I haven't tested it myself, as I'd prefer not to break anything (like, oh, say, Mozilla Foundation apps like Firefox and Thunderbird that don't use relative paths in their preference files) ;)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan@email.com   |   Brisbane, Australia