RE: Problem with cygwin & xerces-2.6

  There's no way you can post a reply to a digest and have it directed as a
reply to one of the individual mails in that digest.  (Well, you could, if
your mailer software allowed you to specify References: and In-Reply-To:
headers manually, and if you went to the web archive and looked up the
Msg-ID of the message you were replying to and cut and pasted it into the
headers, but that seems like a lot of trouble to me.)  A simple answer would
be to change to subscription by individual mails, or perhaps to read in
digest mode, but post replies through gmane.

>   Anyway, I finally solved my problem by looking at the
> makefiles for the
> xerces examples and eventually got to the same conclusion Dave points
> out in his reply. But now the question I have is this: is this ld
> limitation (putting the -l option after all the .o files) only for the
> cygwin implementation? Because when I run the same command on a Linux,
> it doesn't matter the options order, and by the way in the
> man pages for
> ld there's nothing about placing the -l option at the end of
> the line...

  I dunno if it says so explicitly, but look at the documentation for the
--start-group and --end-group options; that makes it clear that it's a known
issue with the way ld operates.  It may well be that someone has fixed it
recently and that the version of ld on your linux box is based on a more
recent binutils release than the cygwin one.  Cygwin comes with:

dk@mace /artimi/firmware> ld -V
GNU ld version 2.15.91 20040725
  Supported emulations:
   i386pe