Re: A vexing installation problem

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 15:34:00 PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Sounds like you haven't read http://cygwin.com/problems.html, in that
> case.

I read it quickly for exactly this reason, and then misinterpreted
"just attach it as a straight text file".  Just a moment of idiocy.

> cygcheck already told us that there were no duplicate cygwin1.dll's on
> your path.  You need to look for other cygwin1.dll's throughout your
> system.

Ok, I've done that too.

> Try removing things from your environment like HOME, HOMEPATH, TEMP,
> etc.  and make your PATH as minimal as possible.

I've removed everything from my environment excepth PATH=. which seems
about as minimal as it can get.  Actually, unsetting PATH completely
gives the same behavior; that's slightly disconcerting.

> If that doesn't work, entirely wipe out c:\local\cygwin, run regedit,
> and remove the "HKLM/Cygnus Solutions" and the HKCU/Cygnus Solutions
> keys entirely.  Then reboot and try reinstalling just a minimal
> installation.

I've tried exactly that, several times, removing all Cyg* keys.

> Also try installing as another user.

I can't easily do this one at the moment.

The best clue I have at the moment is that a 1.5.5-1 cygwin1.dll
appears to be fully functional, but a 1.5.6-1 cygwin1.dll with the
same (old) executables is fully nonfunctional.  All 1.3.* releases
seem ok; and newer 1.5.* releases (1.5.9-1, 1.5.11-1, 1.5.12-1) all
have exactly the same behavior as 1.5.6-1.

  C:\>set
  PATH=.

  C:\>copy cyg-1.5.6.dll cygwin1.dll
          1 file(s) copied.

  C:\>mount

  C:\>copy cyg-1.5.5.dll cygwin1.dll
  Overwrite cygwin1.dll? (Yes/No/All): y
          1 file(s) copied.

  C:\>mount
  c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
  h: on /cygdrive/h type user (textmode,noumount)

-- Dave