Re: FW: Serious Installation problems - possible workround but rapid fix required.

At 02:47 PM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>I've done some more tests and here's what I did.
>
>I saved cygcheck from a previous failed installation which created a bin
>directory with some contents but didn't complete.
>
>I removed virtually everything from the system apart from Windows
>itself, including all references to Cygwin/Cygnus in the registry,
> and the attached file is the output file from
>
>cygcheck -s -v -r > cygout.txt
>
>I then removed Cygwin/Cygnus items from the registry because running
>cygcheck appears to add some things to the registry.
>
>I then did an install from the Internet using "Install" for all
>components.
>
>This proceeded until (as before):
>
>93%  In-use files have been replaced. You need to reboot as soon as
>possible to activate the new versions.
>      Cygwin may operate incorrectly until you reboot.
>
>     The Progress window indicates:
>
>       _update-info-dir-00230-1
>
>      /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-f100-6.8.1.0.README
>
>Clicking OK then produces the folllowing window.
>
>     Can't open Package Database for writing: No such file or directory.
>
>The procedure completes but Cygwin has not been properly installed.
>
>Rebooting makes no difference.
>
>I hope this helps in pinpointing the problem.

Sounds related to the problems reported over on the cygwin-xfree list.
You might want to take a gander at the discussion there.

Try running 'setup.exe' again and installing whatever is missing.  If
that doesn't work, try uninstalling, installing just the defaults, and
then installing again choosing all the packages you want.  The latter
is the current prescription for faulty installs involving X.

Holliston, MA 01746