From: Max Bowsher [mailto:maxb@ukf.net]
Sent: Thu 25/11/2004 20:22
To: John Macallister; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Serious Installation problems - possible workround but rapid fix required.

John Macallister wrote:
> I've installed Cygwin a few times before and I was fairly confident of
> installing version 1.5.12 but what a disaster this distribution is! I
> don't want anyone in particular to feel they're the object of criticism
> but this release may put off many users from trying to use Cygwin at all
> because it's just not possible to install it without a great deal of
> trouble with the current distribution kit. I would suggest a rapid
> re-release is needed (I'm willing to field test it for you as far as the
> installation procedure is concerned) before too many people discover the
> problem!

You misunderstand the nature of the problem.

It is highly improbable that the issue you describe has anything to do with
the cygwin DLL itself, and it has been reported before the 1.5.12 release
anyway.

> I've tried downloading and/or installing directly from 16 different
> download sites just in case there was a problem mirroring. Some sites
> failed with installation incomplete (consistently e.g. mirror.ac.uk) but
> most ended up in some sort of endless shell loop at 90+% of the way
> through with virtual memory increasing endlessly: even setting a
> pagefile size of 2.5GB was not enough!
>
> Here's what I did.
>  (1) Download from rcn.net
>        (This just happens to be the one that worked but all the
> successful downloads looked identical).
>  (2) Install from local disk using "Install" for everything.
>        This produced some "missing database" errors and didn't complete
> properly. I just cancelled the "Try again?" request.

Your abbreviation of the error message is rather unhelpful. I have no idea
what that error is.

Was this a clean install of Cygwin, or were you updating an existing
install?

Max.