Re: new cygwin has memory problems?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 08:26:05AM -0800, Lester Ingber wrote:
>I was wrong in assuming this was a cygwin base problem.  It must be a
>cygwin-xfree problem.  I have no problems I can see in a cygwin console
>window, only in an xterm (or rxvt) window running under
>XWin -unixkill -emulate3buttons -clipboard -multiwindow -silent-dup-error &
>
>Lester
>
>      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
>I cannot determine why, but with the new Cygwin base I just installed,
>a utility I have used for quite a few years, dired
>[http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/software/file-tools.html#dired], now
>freezes my window.  A `top` shows that CPU usage quickly climbs to
>maximum values.
>
>I have to guess that other utilities will have similar problems.

This is a problem caused by this change:

And, then, the problem was noted here:

The problem is that cygwin is now behaving like linux in that timed
reads from a pty/tty work correctly.  It is not behaving like linux in
that once you get an EOF on a read using stdio, you get EOF forever
after.

I've made a cygwin-specific correction to the newlib library to make
cygwin work more like linux.  I will generate a cygwin snapshot sometime
soon which should have a fix for this problem.  Keep an ey on:

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

cgf