Re: What to do when setup fails?

On 11 Nov, Reini Urban replied to:
>  > I watched in task manager as setup's memory use climbed from 50MB to
>  > 127MB over a period of a few minutes.  When next I looked nothing had
>  > visibly changed, except task manager reckoned setup was now using only
>  > 12MB (again climbing steadily upwards at about 5MB per minute), even as
>  > the Performance task manager view showed system memory use had climbed
>  > to 880MB (and still climbing).
>
>  Looks like it crawls your local-package-dir tree (aka "Select download
>  directory") to look for all available setup.ini's and tar.bz2 packages.
>  You should really check your /var/log/setup.log.full what's going on and
>  not only taskman, to see that's something going on.

It was very strange: it wrote nothing in setup.log.  I even searched on
the whole drive for other copies of setup.log, and there weren't any.

>  You really should provide a meaningful local-package-dir otherwise it
>  will crawl your entire root, which could last 30 mins if it's cygfile:///
>  But maybe there's an undetected recursive loop possibility somewhere.
>  Have to investigate. (Note: the fromcwd() step)

The local package directory was set to c:\temp\cygwin, so that it would
have a whole directory just to itself.

>  Do you have junctions, directory hardlinks under your local-package-dir?

I don't know what a junction is, sorry.  Since the c:\temp\cygwin
didn't exist until setup.exe created it, I assume there would have been
none however.

The machine in question has been returned to get its hard drive
replaced, BTW.

luke