Oracle, ProC and cygwin - troubles

Hi all,

We are using Cygwin (1.5.11) in the process of porting an Unix-based
application to Windows 2000/XP.

The application is based on Oracle DB (version 10.1.0), and the
database is accessed through Embedded SQL (using the ProC
precompiler).

So far we have a small test application compiled all right using the
windows libraries supplied by Oracle. However the executable
terminates with this error message:

$ ./sample1.exe
      4 [main] ? 3844 cygheap_fixup_in_child: Couldn't reserve 9891528
bytes of space for cygwin's heap (0x61780000 <0xB40000>) in child,
Win32 error 487 c:\cygwin\home\z5ols\sample1.exe (3844): ***
m.AllocationBase 0x0, m.BaseAddress 0x61780000, m.RegionSize 0x40000,
m.State 0x10000

Other observations:
1. If the program is run using gdb everything runs nicely!!
2. If compiled with the -mno-cygwin option the program runs nicely!
3. We have tried to rebase the Oracle and cygwin dll's with no success.

What could be wrong?

The following options and libraries are given for the compiler:
$ gcc -o sample1 sample1.c -lcygwin \
 /cygdrive/c/oracle/product/10.1.0/Db_1/BIN/ORASQL10.DLL \
 /cygdrive/c/oracle/product/10.1.0/Db_1/BIN/oci.dll

We have also tried to use impdef and dlltool to create import
libraries for the two dll's, but with no luck what so ever.

We have searched the Cygwin archives and Google for messages
indicating similar problems related to using the Oracle DB and ProC
together with Cygwin. Depending on which message we choose to read it
seems either possible or completely impossible :-) We don't know what
to believe?

http://groups.google.dk/groups?q=cygwin&hl=da&lr=&group=comp.databases.oracle.*&;
selm=m37jxx9bvc.fsf%40ate.maierh&rnum=6

The Oracle libraries rely on MS runtime, MSVCTR.dll. Some posts state
that the combination of cygwin1.dll and MSVCRT.dll is likely to cause
you troubles. Maybe this is the cause of our problems. However, we
have seen other posts stating that there should be no problems with
this combination! Again we would apreciate some clarification on the
issue.

Kind regards,

Ole Storm.