Re: Creating superuser (root) in Cygwin

I don't think it will be possible to do a straight forward port for
sudo to cygwin.  Even by creating a user called root.  This will
pretty much require a direct modification of code enclosed in 'if
def's ' thoughout.  Redefining what it considers to be an
administrator from user id 0 to user id 544.  This of course was
already mentioned by Larry Hall and I thnk he is right in terms what
should be done.  The su program in cygwin doesn't actually work at all
(it only compiles).  That one does a similar function but it does it
per session where you invoke su and have you run as root for a while.
It fails to function for the same reason that sudo won't function out
of the box.  Good luck on getting it to work.  Maybe you can get
cygwin added to the supported platforms list on the website.  Also I
would highly suggest looking at the links that Larry Hall supplied in
his post which are these.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SWITCH

They have useful information that can aid in getting sudo to work fully.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:16:36 +0000, Olumide <50295@web.de> wrote:

> > You cannot just create a superuser in cygwin because cygwin is a
> > translation layer for UNIX applications.  Cygwin is not actual UNIX
> > and there are limitations.  Basically cygwin is using the host
> > machine's security model rather than unix's own native security model
> > and porting is not straight forward for some applications.  It is even
> > worse when it comes to WIndows 9x than with Windows NT where as 9x has
> > no security model of its own (that I am aware about).  The passwd and
> > group files are there for compatibility and allows some applications
> > to work.  At least that is my understanding.
>
> Thanks Robert.
>
> I'm on WindowsXP and I'm trying to run sudo
> (http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/) what do you think I should do.
>
> --

Robert Pendell
shinji257@gmail.com