Re: ls /dev/*

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 10:07:41PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 02:55:39PM -0500, Sam Steingold wrote:

why isn't /dev a more "usual" directory?
cd /dev, ls /dev all fail, while
cat /dev/clipboard works.

No one has implemented the special handling required for /dev which would enable things like opendir/readdir or cd to work.

Actually I change the cygdrive prefix to dev. Just seems to make sense to me that C: would be /dev/c as apposed to /cygdrive/c, which is longer to type. When I ls /dev I get:

$ ls /dev
c/ d/ z/

A C, D and Z drive (the Z drive is to my backup partition on my Linux box).

While, you are welcome to redefine /cygdrive any way you want, the unix paradigm does not put filesystems under /dev. That is for devices.

To me, a disk drive IS a device. YMMV! :-)

In any event, this has nothing to do with the actual question. Even if this was something that makes sense, it doesn't help the OP meet his
goals in any way.

How so? What exactly is the OP's problem? As stated cd /dev and ls /dev fail. With my "solution" both cd and ls work. Sounds like a solution to me! ;-)

--
I said "NO" to drugs, but they didn't listen.