Re: postgres in windows 2003

--- Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote:

> Elvin Peterson schrieb:
> >     When starting postgres initdb in windows 2003
> > get a signal 12.  ipc-daemon2 seems to start up
> OK.  I
> > understand there were some issues with windows
> 2003
> > and cygwin earlier on, but that message seems to
> have
> > been removed from the home page, so I guess that
> might
> > have been resolved.
>
> signal 12 tells us nothing. check /bin/ipcs if IPC
> is working ok for you
>
> There are two versions of postgresql for cygwin:
> one linked to the old ipc-daemon2 (up to 7.3),
> and all newer ones linked to the new
> cygwin1.dll/cygserver IPC (since 7.4)
>
> ipc-daemon2 is not supported and recommended
> anymore. There's no
> postgresql version available via the cygwin
> setup.exe installer which
> uses ipc-daemon2. Check your README.
>
> less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql*.README

My mistake--I used the earlier version with the
ipc-daemon2 file.  My present installation is 7.4.5.
After starting cygserver, I no longer get signal 12
from initdb.

$ ipcs
Message Queues:
T     ID               KEY        MODE       OWNER
GROUP

Shared Memory:
T     ID               KEY        MODE       OWNER
GROUP

Semaphores:
T     ID               KEY        MODE       OWNER
GROUP

But initdb fails with

FATAL:  /usr/bin/postgres: could not locate postgres
executable

But:

$ ls /usr/bin/postgres
/usr/bin/postgres