Re: Filename limits

Shankar Unni wrote:

If I have understood the documentation correctly, using the Unicode version of file functions (e.g. CreateFileW) and prepending \\?\ allows 32k character path limit.

It would be possible to change all instances of CreateFile, MoveFile, DeleteFile, etc. to CreateFileW, MoveFileW, etc. and create a function that converted the win32 path into a unicode version (possibly something like path_conv.get_nt_native_path()).

The one drawback I can see is with compatibility:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/createfile.asp wrote:

*Windows Me/98/95: **CreateFileW* is supported by the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. To use this, you must add certain files to your application, as outlined in Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me Systems <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/mslu/winprog/microsoft_layer_for_unicode_on_windows_95_98_me_systems.asp>.

The best solution would to select either CreateFileA or CreateFileW at runtime, depending upon the system it is being run on. However, what would happen if CreateFileW was linked (but not called) on a non-Unicode enabled win 95/98/Me system?

I noticed in fhandler.cc there is a reference to NtCreateFile, which according to msdn, is XP and 2000 only. What happens on a win95 machine?

This would be a /real benefit/ if cygwin supported longer path names.

-- Colin