RE: Avail for test: libtool-devel-1.9f_20041024-1, libltdl6-1.9f_20041024-1

Chuck wrote:
> Peter Ekberg wrote:
>> I have a problem with "make install" of a built executable.
> In your case, you have a wrapper script -- but an empty
>   noninst_deplibs. One of two things is true:
>
> (1) your exe really truly does not depend on any uninstalled
>     libraries. --> so need to investigate WHY a wrapper script was
>     created at all.

It does not. The reason seems to be that $wrappers_required
does not get set to "no" since $build_libtool_libs is "yes"
in this snippet from the libtool script:
---------------8<------------------
      wrappers_required=yes
      case $host in
      *cygwin* | *mingw* )
        if test "$build_libtool_libs" != yes; then
          wrappers_required=no
        fi
        ;;
      *)
        if test "$need_relink" = no || test "$build_libtool_libs" !=
yes; then
          wrappers_required=no
        fi
        ;;
      esac
---------------8<------------------

$build_libtool_libs gets set to "yes" in the very beginning
of the libtool script and is not changed after that.

If I add this project specific brown-paper-bag hack to the
mix, "make install" works correctly:
---------------8<------------------
	if test "$outputname" = "xsendbut.exe" ; then
	  wrappers_required=no
	fi
---------------8<------------------

> Needless to say, I haven't observed that behavior here.
>
> BTW, does your version of libtool contain this ChangeLog entry?
>
> 2004-10-09  Charles Wilson  <spam.protected>
>
>          * config/ltmain.m4sh (func_mode_link): don't relink
>          on cygwin/mingw; no need.  But do ensure that wrappers
>          are created unless doing a purely static build.
>
> 'cause it touches exactly this bit of code.

That patch is in there, the guy who merged libtool-1.9-cvs
into the project claims that the only difference between our
libtool version and 1.9f is the version number (and a totally
unrelated local FreeBSD fix)...

BTW, this is the command that generates the wrapper script
when it shouldn't:
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link --tag=CC gcc  -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_THREAD_SAFE -DDEBUG -g -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wsign-compare
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wswitch -Wmissing-prototypes -Wreturn-type -Wshadow
-o xsendbut.exe  xsendbut.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

I should perhaps note that xsendbut resides in a directory
where other executables are built that do indeed depend on
uninstalled libtool libs, if that is at all relevant?

On the off chance that you (or someone else) want to get
first hand experience of the problem, try libgii from cvs
available from:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/ggi login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/ggi co ggi-core/libgii
cd ggi-core/libgii