Re: http://rateless.com/ GPL violation?

Dave Korn schrieb:
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner On Behalf Of Reini Urban
Sent: 22 October 2004 17:44

Dave Korn schrieb:

Found: .\rateless-tunnel.exe
rateless-tunnel.exe
 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
   C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
     C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
     C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
     C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
dk@mace /win/c/downloads/rateless>

LOL. They owe me their source code.

Or remove the cygwin build. That's the option they'll probably choose.

  They can remove it from their website if they like, but it's too late.  As long
as I am in posession of a binary of a GPL'd program, I have a non-negotiable right
to a copy of the very same sources from which the binary I have was compiled.
There are no if's or but's.

Of course, I Am Not A Lawyer, So Everything I Have Said Can Be Safely Ignored.

I'm not sure if this will hold on court.

I also wrote:
>>Question is how to enforce the current state of affairs.

I know that not many court decisions have been made on those GPL enforcement issues. And it will depend on the judge if the term "distribution" will be interpreted short-term (bad for rateless) or longer-term.

rateless will probably just say:
"We didn't know that. No offsense intended, no harm done. We removed it immediately. It's not distributed anymore."
And maybe they dare to deny any GPL lawyer claim for this short-term offense and go to court with this minor issue, not giving out the sources.
But I want to see that.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/