inetd is unable to accept incoming connections when started as service on WinXP SP1

I downloaded on October, 7 a fresh cygwin package set, then I installed it on an
XP SP1 box.

After reading inetutils*.README, I tried to setup inetd as a service, with the
following steps:

1. added CYGWIN='binmode tty ntsec' to environment variables set
2.added c:\cygwin\bin to PATH environment variable
3.run 'mount' to ensure that /usr/bin, /usr/lib and / mountpoints have 'system'
attribute set.
4.rebooted the box
5.installed inetd as service, /usr/sbin/inetd --install-as-service
6.manually started service using windows GUI

All seems ok, ps -ef reports two instances of running inetd , as expected.
But when I try a connection to any server present in /etc/inetd.conf, I always
obtain a 'can't connect' error message.
Example:
ftp localhost
...... connection refused
ftp>

It seems that inetd can't 'accept' the incoming connection.

If I start inetd from command line (not as a service), all works fine.

Does anybody know how to get it working as a service?