Re: mv: `Tcollect2' and `collect2' are the same file

Earl Chew wrote:
> I got this error trying to build gcc using cygwin 1.5.11. This problem
> is easily reproduced:
>
> X:> touch Tfoo.exe
> X:> chmod a+rx Tfoo
> X:> ls -l Tfoo
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 earlch   mkpasswd        0 Oct  8 22:08 Tfoo
> X:> mv Tfoo foo
> mv: `Tfoo' and `foo' are the same file

Long ago I submitted a patch to fileutils so that at least this would
give a sensible error message.  I fear the ongoing (?) lack of a
volunteer for coreutils means it was never taken up.

It's also very easy to recompile fileutils so that cp and mv treat
"Tfoo" like "Tfoo.exe" when only the latter exists; the patch is already
in the source!  I like this behavior, although I guess it could, in very
unusual circumstances, screw something up were it the default.

Robert