Re: Spurious "You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your syste m."

On  8 Oct, luke.kendall wrote:
>  >  Now to see if I can find where /etc/profile went, and if no joy, try
>  >  again with the modified scripts and new knowledge...
>
>  No joy.  /etc/profile, passwd, and group were simply missing.
>
>  Even doing a grep for /etc/profile in setup.log and .full showed no
>  errors or warnings that mentioned /etc/profile.  (In fact, a grep -i
>  for warning or error only showed installation of files with that as part
>  of their name - i.e. it seemed like a clean install).
>
>  It seems possible to me that it's something I've done wrong.  I'll
>  scrub Cygwin again from the test machine and try again with my
>  improved scripts.

Hmm.  I tried again, with the same results.  So I scrubbed Cygwin
completely, again (including deleting all keys with Cygwin from the
registry, and making sure umount had been done), and just ran setup.exe
manually.

It gave the same results - broken install because /etc/profile is not
installed.  Nothing local is mounted, either - not /, not /tmp.

Would you like me to investigate further?

What package is supposed to install /etc/profile?  Any suggestions on
how I can debug this?  (Will I need to download the source package, or
can I just poke around in the download area, and untar the package to a
different area, and look through it?).

I have to leave now, but next week I'll try installing from our old
stable mirror instead of from the latest Cygwin (updated nightly).

Next week, I'll do an automated install from our stable Cygwin mirror,
as a final sanity check.

Ah, wait - I just had an idea.  There's one more possibility - it may
result from having a network-installed Cygwin process running.  I'll try
the manual install again with no network Cygwin processes running (so,
no cygwin1.dll loaded).  Sounds like a plausible cause.

Though I would have expected the cygwin heap mismatch to have been
detected and reported, not a silently broken install.

luke