Re: Spurious "You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your syste m."

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:53:30AM +1000, luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
>On  7 Oct, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>  Erghm...
>
>We all make mistakes.  :-)

and we all make conscious decisions.

>>>To be pedantic, the warning is wrong because it says you have multiple
>>>copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.  There aren't, and indeed a
>>>Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
>>>confirms that there is only a single cygwin1.dll, freshly installed.
>>
>>Well, network drives are technically drives on your system too.  If you
>>can't find multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your local drives, but an
>>extra copy exists on a network drive, the error is correct.
>
>:-) I think you're stretching things a little there.  :-) Most people
>wouldn't consider network filesystems to be "on" their system.  But
>since I'm being very pedantic anyway, I shouldn't argue any more about
>that.  :-)

No, we are not stretching things.  Most people would assume that they
had to search for everything accessible to their system when they were
being told that there was another copy of cygwin interfering.  The logic
of thinking "Oh, this is a network drive so it couldn't *possibly* be
affecting anything to do with cygwin", is really nonsensical given that
you are installing cygwin applications on the network drive.  Assuming
that the error was so precise as to pinpoint only local drives makes no
sense.

>> > I freely confess I'm doing something unusual.  Maybe I'm the first
>> > person on the planet to attempt to automate Cygwin installation via a
>> > shell script from an already existing and stable copy of Cygwin
>> > installed elsewhere on the network?
>>
>>  Likely you are.  There just aren't that many people using Cygwin,
>
>?!  I would have thought tens of thousands minimum, but you'd know
>better than me.

It is at least tens of thousands, yes.  Geoff Noer used to claim that
cygwin downloads numbered in the millions.

>>that this is in no way approved by the Cygwin team:
>>
>>*If* you know what you're doing, and *if* you're careful, and *if* you
>>have a real need (which I suspect you do in this case), you *can* run
>>two mismatched versions of Cygwin occasionally.  Take a look at the way
>>the Cygwin test suite is run -- it runs with a newly-built DLL all the
>>time.  Note that you'll need to have a unique cygheap id for the
>>network copy of Cygwin that is guaranteed to differ from any installed
>>Cygwin's id.  The easiest way to do that is have your network Cygwin
>>built with debugging enabled.  As long as you don't try doing anything
>>exotic (e.g., start network services using both copies of cygwin1.dll),
>>it should work.
>
>So far I've never built a Cygwin from source, and it may require more
>time than I scrape together away from my real work.  If I've
>understood, you're saying that you link the cygwin1.dll with a
>different BASE address?  But from W2K on, Windows allows the loading of
>different versions of the same DLL, provided you use full pathnames
>(and the paths are different, obviously).

No, that's not what he's saying and I would really not recommend using
the approach that the test suite uses.  The test suite gets away with it
because it is designed to avoid cross-pollination between different
cygwin versions.  Unless you know what you're doing, you shouldn't even
consider using this technique.  For your problem, in particular, you are
asking for trouble.

cgf