Re: Misleading warning from mount?

On  7 Oct, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>  You did everything but the one thing that would prove that the warning
>  message is correct:
>
>      bash-2.05b$ mount
>      c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
>      l: on /cygdrive/l type user (textmode,noumount)
>      m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
>      u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
>      x: on /cygdrive/x type user (textmode,noumount)
>      bash-2.05b$ ls /tmp
>      ls: /tmp: No such file or directory
>
>  Use the -f option if this message bothers you.
>
>  cgf

Okay, I'll do that, thanks.  I don't understand what you mean about
doing everything but the one thing that would prove that the warning
message is correct.  Do you mean mount itself?  If I actually try that,
it seems to confirm that the message is *incorrect*:

    bash-2.05b$ mount
    c:\temp\mnt\tmp on /tmp type system (binmode)
    c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
    l: on /cygdrive/l type user (textmode,noumount)
    m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
    u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
    x: on /cygdrive/x type user (textmode,noumount)
    bash-2.05b$ umount /tmp
    bash-2.05b$ mount
    c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
    l: on /cygdrive/l type user (textmode,noumount)
    m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
    u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
    x: on /cygdrive/x type user (textmode,noumount)
    bash-2.05b$ mount c:/temp/mnt/tmp /tmp
    mount: warning - /tmp does not exist.
    bash-2.05b$ mount
    c:\temp\mnt\tmp on /tmp type system (binmode)
    c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
    l: on /cygdrive/l type user (textmode,noumount)
    m: on /cygdrive/m type user (textmode,noumount)
    u: on /cygdrive/u type user (textmode,noumount)
    x: on /cygdrive/x type user (textmode,noumount)
    bash-2.05b$ ls /tmp
    a  b
    bash-2.05b$ echo c > /tmp/c
    bash-2.05b$ cat /tmp/c
    bash-2.05b$ ls c:/temp/mnt/tmp
    a  b  c

Maybe I still misunderstand.  In what sense does /tmp not exist?

luke