(De)activating network connection [SOLVED]

However off-topic, let me make this last posting in order to report my
[very positive and interesting] findings on this matter.

1. Microsoft KB article 262265 explains that NETSH.EXE returns an error
when trying do disable an Ethernet connection:

        "Dedicated interfaces cannot be connected, disconnected, enabled,
or disabled".

2. Microsoft KB article 311272 introduces DEVCON.EXE .

        "The DevCon utility is a command line utility that acts as an
alternative to Device Manager. Using DevCon, you can enable, disable,
restart, update, remove, and query individual devices or groups of
devices."

3. I've successfully tested DEVCON.EXE (Win XP SP1) to disable the
Ethernet connection. As a matter of fact, the entire hardware device
disappeared from Device Manager. I suppose the procedure can be refined
(with further testing) to disable just the WAN miniport instead of the
whole device. As follows:

        devcon hwids =net       # query hardware id of all network
interfaces (print the log and pinpoint which id belongs to the network
interface)

        devcon disable
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1050&SUBSYS_02851014&REV_02\4&3A322F38&0&40F0  # puff !
there it goes (fireworks abound if you're connected anywhere)

        devcon enable
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1050&SUBSYS_02851014&REV_02\4&3A322F38&0&40F0  # presto !
here's it back again (no reboot required)

4. BTW, got this thru

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Cheers

Thiers Botelho