RE: Which Linux after CyGwin?

On Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:52 AM, zzapper wrote

> Hi,
>
> In fact I want to keep Win32/Cygwin on my primary PC, but would like
> to install a dual boot Linux on my old PC. Mandrake & Fedora seem to
> be the most popular according to http://distrowatch.com/
>
> Any opinions
>
> zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
> --
>
> vim -c ":%s%s*%CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne%|:%s)[R-T]) )Ig|:norm
> G1VGg?"
>
> http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips

"Any opinions"

And your asking about Linux?  I am guessing it was a rhetorical
question...

I use Debian GNU/Linux as my distro of choice.  I chose it mainly
because of its wonderful package management tools.  If you do use
Debian, please don't use the 'stable' release.  It is very ancient (but
stable!).  Use the 'testing' release.  For the most part, you won't have
any problems and if you do have a problem, expect it to be fixed
quickly.
I actually used their recommended application, jigdo, to build a
'testing' ISO image.  Then I made a CD and installed off of that.
Afterwards, I have some packages that I use the 'unstable' release for
and even one that I use the 'experimental' release for.  Everything else
I keep at 'testing'.

I tried Mandrake and Gentoo, but they don't update very well from behind
a proxy server that requires authentication.

I haven't used RedHat since 7.3.

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery
of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.