No longer works.

(Sorry if this has been hashed out before. Searching the archives yielded too
much forest to find my sapling :-) Thanks in advance for any help.)

After an errant upgrade using the one cited "don't use", after upgrading
sequesuently to good version, Cygwin no longer works. The "login sequence"
that once was displayed as the bash window came up does not occur and the
window simply closes. Running the .bat file directly gives me an open window
in which nothing runs except "exit". No commands such as "ls", et al, are
"found".

Before all this, Cygwin worked 100% (not using X). How do I get Cygwin working
once again?