Re: A good way to test if cygwin isn't installed?

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 06:08:48PM +0100, Hughes, Bill wrote:
>Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>..snip..
>>> If you have cygwin programs available to you, then use the mount
>>> command. If the only output from the mount command is of the
>>> "noumount" variety then cygwin isn't installed in any meaningful way.
>>
>> Personally I would consider the existence or non-existence of
>> cygwin1.dll to be a more definitive measure of whether or not Cygwin
>> is installed in a "meaningful" way.
>I think it may be possible to cygwin installed and not have it in the path,
>if it's started from a bat or cmd that modifies the path etc...
>anyway, finding cygwin1.dll may be a slow process. It might be better to
>access the registry, this jscript uses the windows scripting host, so won't
>work on older boxes unless wsh is there, but as a proof of concept it may be
>ok.

Just having "mount.exe" and "cygwin1.dll" in the same directory and running
"mount" should be adequate.

If "mount" exits with a "multiple cygwin problem" then, well...

If "mount" shows more than just /cygdrive paths, then cygwin isn't installed
in any useful way.

This uses standard tools to check and avoids the assumption that checking
the registry is always going to be the best way to find out if cygwin
is installed.

cgf