A good way to test if Cygwin isn't installed?

I just wanted to run an idea past the list.

I want to write a shell script to test if Cygwin has been installed on
the machine running the shell script.

I do this by running a shell (from a network install of Cygwin if
necessary).

If Cygwin is installed on the local machine, then "cygpath -w /"
returns something like "c:\cygwin".  (Good for discovering what drive
Cygwin was installed on, right?)  If Cygwin has not been installed,
"cygpath -w /" returns a plain old backslash.

That's fine - maybe even great.  My question: is that a reliable way to
perform that test?  It seems good to me.

I'm working my way towards a shell script that installs or upgrades
Cygwin on a machine that may or may not have Cygwin installed, and do
all our local post-install stuff (which is a lot of stuff), and also
test that at least the major packages from the install work properly.

luke