Re: cygserver won't start (FAQ alert)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Michael Hipp wrote:

> Brian Dessent wrote:
> > Hmm.  You should also check that /etc/cygserver.conf is readable by
> > SYSTEM and that /var/log/cygserver.log is readable and writable by
> > SYSTEM.  You could always just do "chown SYSTEM:root" and "chmod 644" on
> > them if unsure, but I suspect they're fine.
>
> Well, you're on the right track. Adding -d to the cygserver options caused
> Event Viewer to come up with this:
>
> cygserver : PID 800 : starting service `' failed: redirect_fd: open (1,
> /var/log/cygserver.log): 2, No such file or directory.
>
> So I tried (numerous times) setting the perms both from bash and Windows to no
> avail. Tried deleting and re-creating the file.
> [snip]
> One thing, when I installed this cygwin I checked the "Install For Just Me"
> option. Could this have anything to do with it?

Bingo.  As I was reading your message, I thought "he should check that he
has system mounts".  You've just confirmed that you don't.  Re-mount all
of your mounts as "system", and your services will work.

David, this is definitely an FAQ, but there is nothing in the FAQ about
services (other than the "how do I install snapshots" entry).  Should we
add something along the lines:

  Why don't my services work?

  Most Windows services run as the SYSTEM user.  If you installed Cygwin
  for "Just Me", the SYSTEM user won't see the mount table.  You need to
  re-mount all of your mounts as "system" for services to work.

We could even include the recipe for remounting as system (e.g., from
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00487.html>), or tell them to run
setup.exe again and select "All Users" on the "Install For" screen (and
use the "Keep" view, so that nothing gets upgraded accidentally).

Incidentally, being able to use system mounts requires write access to the
HKLM registry tree.  However, installing services also seems to require
it, so if anyone has problems with services not working (but being
correctly installed into the registry) should also be able to use system
mounts.  Don't know if this is worth mentioning in the FAQ.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw