RE: security and cygwin

Actually, Reini, I didn't say that I didn't know what a daemon was, I
said that I didn't know how to find out which ones were running (without
additional research, which, has thus far been fruitless).  If I type ps
-fA on my linux box at home, I get a list of all the running processes,
even when I am not logged in as root.  When I type ps -fA in cygwin, I
do not get a complete list -- just my shell and the ps command.  Of
course this brings up the question of who, exactly is root under cygwin,
but a check of /etc/passwd seems to indicate that there isn't one.  I
gather that if SYSTEM or Administrators wanted to take on the role,
they'd be able to do it.

As far as I can see from what you wrote, the real issue is that windows
is unsafe.  I don't use Explorer, and if there is an intruder on my
machine, I already have a problem, independent of what they can do using
cygwin services.  The question is whether someone can use cygwin to
intrude.

I guess I don't see why anyone would install cygwin rather than linux
unless they were stuck in a networked windows environment as I am, so I
would assume that it would be designed to work reasonably in such an
environment.  Only I and computer services have accounts on the machine.
I have to trust computer services, and if they screw up, they can't
blame me, so the only issue here is what I personally have to do to make
sure I do not introduce extra security risks into the system.  (Wish the
documentation addressed XP Pro rather than just NT.)