Re: Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:19:12PM -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
>At 02:57 PM 9/20/2004, you wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>>Cygwin ttys and ptys are the same thing.
>>
>>OK how about a command that says start this Windows console mode
>>application using whatever it is that will make it happy enough to talk
>>to stdin/stdout/stderr (short of starting a new window that is).
>
>I think the point is that while it may be possible to make changes that
>do what you want, they are not straight-forward and compromise POSIX
>portability.

Sorry Larry, but the point is that it is not possible to make the
changes.

So, you start a windows console app and you communicate with it, how,
exactly?  Open up a pipe?  Nope can't do that.  How then?

>I also suspect that this is an area that requires real thought and real
>effort by someone interested in taking up the effort.

I'm not even sure it's possible to do.  If it is possible to do, it's
probably only possible on NT.

cgf