XP and sshd PW

excuse me if this is an old or easily answered question but I have tried a few
things and am running out of time.

Scenario:

I have a a mini-ITX system that is remote and connected via 802.11b wireless

It boots into XP pro without any password on power up

I have sshd coming up OK via net start sshd in startup folder

I can manipulate apps via realVNC but would like to use ssh and scp for some
things

the problem is that things like ssh admin@miniitx fail because of the lack of
password on the admin account.

What am I missing...