Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:54:04AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:42:51AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
> >Here at the company I work for, we have one of our developers spending
> >half his time trying to track down this problem, but so far with no luck.
> >He did find that forcing processor affinity helps avoid the problem, but
> >that's not much of a solution.
>
> No, but that's certainly in keeping with the tone of the problem.
>
> >I keep trying to convince management to send a hyperthreaded machine that
> >shows the problem to Christopher or Corinna, but they keep nixing the idea
> >(I don't understand why).
>
> I don't think either Corinna or I want another system, but if anyone is
> considering sending a hyperthreaded system, it should probably go to me
> and not Corinna since this is likely to be in code which I am
> responsible for.
>
> Hmm.  Usually, in cases like this, by this time Pierre has stepped in
> and pointed in the general direction of where the problem lies.  I
> wonder if his recent patch to fork in cygwin-patches shows where at
> least one problem lies here.

Huh? I don't even own a single dog, just a WinME.
It has crossed my mind that the fork bug has something to do with
the hyperthreaded machine problem, and even that it might well be
the last bug in Cygwin.
Processor affinity not helping is consistent with the fork bug.

Pierre