ssh client setup

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the ssh client setup right and hope
someone here can help me sort it out.

When I run ssh it complains that it cannot create the directory
'/home/TBRANSCO/.ssh' (I created that directory manually when I was
setting up my keys and have my private and public keys stored there).
The ssh client then goes on to ask if the host key fingerprint is OK,
prompts for the host password, and makes the connection.  I would just
like the host keys to be stored permanently.

The permission on the '.ssh' folder, and its parents', are as follows:

drwxrwxrwx+   3 TBRANSCO myDomain        0 May  7 12:02 home/
drwxrw-rw-+  12 TBRANSCO myDomain     8192 Aug 19 12:11 tbransco/
drwxrw-rw-+   2 TBRANSCO myDomain        0 Aug  7 12:17 .ssh/

My (wrapped) entry in the /etc/passwd file is as follows:

TBRANSCO:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:32078:10545:Terrence Branscombe,U-
IDIR\TBRANSCO,<SID>:/home/TBRANSCO:/bin/bash

I've botched it somewhere, but can't spot where.  Any suggestions on
what to change, add, or delete?

Thanks,
Terry