RE: Creating a multi-volume archive with tar

Igor wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Peter Milliken wrote:
>
>> Next step is I would like to backup some very large files to DVD. I
>> have some video files (>13GByte) that I would like to backup across
>> multiple DVD discs (-R or -RW - whichever works :-)).
>>
>> Has anybody used a DVD burner as a backup mechanism and how do you
>> work out the device name to use with tar i.e. I found that a floppy
>> is /dev/fd0 - what would a DVD burner device name be? Is there a
>> command that displays device names?
>
> Google for "create_devices.sh", and use the script to create a real
> /dev directory.  Cygwin's /dev is a virtual directory, so you
> can't really
> look at it unless you have a real directory corresponding to it --
> that's what the script creates.
>
> Also see <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html>.
> HTH,
> 	Igor

Adding to this; whatever devices that exist under /dev doesn't help in
creating true filesystems on CD/DVD +/- R/RW/blahblah.

"cdrecord" and "mkisofs" is what you need for this.
$ cat from.url
[InternetShortcut]
URL=ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/
Modified=00928FE01E51C30134

i.e. create "*.iso images", then write those onto any media.
smake and cdrtools-2.00.3 compiled OOTB (some previous gcc version), dunno
if there has been updates since.

Im not as sure if dd+cygwin-/dev can be used to write raw stuff onto any of
those... Haven't really looked for/seen such things described.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E         --72-->

** mailing list preference; please keep replies on list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--