Re: rm fails on netware drive using win2k

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Jul 28 09:15, Holger Schmidt wrote:

We got two machines (WinNT 4.0 and Win2K) which uses a specified directory
on a netware drive. On both machines runs the same cygwin (1.5.10-3).

I "touch" a file from the NT-machine to the netware-drive ("test1").
When I try to remove it with "rm" no problem appears.

Again I "touch" a file from the NT-machine to the netware-drive ("test2").
I tried to remove it with the 2k-machine and nothing appears. "rm" finish
correctly, but the file "test2" still exists and no error message is
displayed.
Then I tried to remove it with the NT-machine and the same problem as on the
2k-machine appears.

Even with a Windows application (equal if NT or 2k) the file "test2" can not
be erased (a message appears "used by another application").

After waiting a couple of minutes (don't know how long) the file can be
erased with "rm" from the NT-machine or with windows itself. But not from
the 2k-machine. (what kind of timer blocks the file ?)

If I "touch" the file from the 2k-machine, it also can not be erased with
"rm".

Can anybody help me, please?

Check the permissions after running touch. Anything weird? Did you try
the latest Cygwin snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots ? There's one
patch in it which *might* have to do with it, but I wouldn't bet.

Oh, I forgot: It's also not possible to overwrite the file. I made "strace"s
on both machines but found nothing of interest.

Hum.

Corinna

Along with checking the permissions.... I suspect that there are really 3 machines involved. One NT, one 2K and yet a third one which houses the "a network drive". What version is that machine?

Further you are attempting to rm the file from NT (works OK) and from the 2K (doesn't work). Questions that pop up in my mind are: Who are you logged in as on the NT machine? Domain login? Who are you logged in as on the 2K machine? Domain login? And what is the value of $CYGWIN? Do you have ntsec and smbntsec set?

--
Why do we say something is out of whack? What's a whack?