[Fwd: find-utils: updatedb/locate scripts]

I generally have updatedb run every night on my win system.

But lately it has been having trouble completing and am looking at
the whole process and am noticing some oddities.

in looking at the find command I see it tries not to look at remotely
mounted drives unless they are in the NETWORK_PATHS var -- but on cygwin
this isn't working as the updatedb-script authors would have wanted.

looking at the file-system type of a file using "find":

find / -type d -maxdepth 2 -printf "%p(%F)\n"

I see some oddities:

1) /proc seems to return a "fstype" of "unknown"
and
2) remotely mounted file systems and CDROMS return an fstype of "user", vs.
the local IDE hard drive which returns fstype=system.

-----
Now this could be coded around, by various prune path statements or by fixing updatedb to know that under cygwin, "user" is a remotefs and "system" is local, but that seems a bit kludgey.

I tried to find source on the mirror I normally use, but it doesn't carry
source (will have to look further), but I wonder what system call find
uses to determine fs-type?

Maybe that system call could return something more appropriate, say:
FAT/FAT32/NTFS/network(or SMB/NFS)/cdrom or dvd (or Joliet/iso9660/ufs) etc.? I don't know if that is possible --- just a question.

But after 1h:45m cpu time, find still hasn't quite indexed my
entire network...:-) part of which is because it doesn't seem to
recognize a softlinks over SMBFS and know not to follow it
rather than just list it (not using "-follow")

-linda

-- In the marketplace of "Real goods", capitalism is limited by safety regulations, consumer protection laws, and product liability. In the computer industry, what protects consumers (other than vendor good will that seems to diminish inversely to their size)?