Re: rsync and file ownership

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Matthew Dwyer wrote:

> Bakken, Luke wrote:
>   > What I ended up having to do is set CYGWIN=nontsec for my rsync server
> > and client before any transfers. If your directories are set to inherit
> > permissions then the permissions will be set OK based on the parent
> > permissions.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > $ CYGWIN=nontsec rsync -rtvz server::share /c/foo
> >
> > You can set that variable in your cygrunsrv setup for the rsync daemon.
>
> Thanks, I'd already read that in this group and it helped a lot! :)
>
> The main problem remaining is just that its creating permissions that
> didn't exist on the files prior to the copy.  eg.  If I do a network
> copy (its my test environment, the real thing will be across the
> internet) the files have the same permissions as they started with.  If
> I rsync them, Admin and Everyone only get read access.  Thats what I
> need to change.  I'm running rsync over ssh from dos bat files.  Its not
> going to be interactive.  I don't think I can chown or chmod the files
> once copied (can that be done over ssh non-interactively?).

It can, pretty easily.
assuming pubkey withought passphrase (otherwise maybe have a read on
expect)
ssh user@host.com chmod -<options> /path/to/files

(anything after the user@host part is treated as a command to be executed
non interactively on the remote host as the specified user, see man ssh
for details)

Vince