No /bin after installation

I've tried installing Cygwin numerous times with
 the current setup program (www.cygwin.com/setup.exe),
 and have the base packages and a number of the
 developer packages selected. But when installation
 completes, I have the /etc, /lib, /usr, and /var
directories but there's no /bin directory.
Because of this, when I try to run Cygwin, I get
 the error "The system cannot find the path specified.
 'bash' is not recognized as an internal or external
 command, operable program, or batch file."