Re: I can't inicializate PostgreSQL

Manuel Tejada wrote:

Thanks Carlo Florendo y Flora and Igor Pechtchanski for your very illustrative comments. Based on that I
follow the procedure again for install PostgreSQL in
my Window ME. Now I can run Cygserver but The
initialization of PostgreSQL failled. See the output I
got:

--------------------------------

admin@alejo ~
$ CYGWIN=server

admin@alejo ~
$ export CYGWIN

admin@alejo ~
$ /usr/sbin/cygserver &
[1] 901443

admin@alejo ~
$ cygserver: Initialization complete.  Waiting for
requests.
// I had to press ENTER because the System really was
wainting for something

admin@alejo ~
$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be
owned by user "admin".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale
C.

creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base...
ok
creating directory
/usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory
/usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory
/usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in
/usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... FATAL: shmat(id=1179648) failed: Invalid argument

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory
"/usr/share/postgresql/data"

However, it says that there could be a need to modify the cygserver.conf file.

shmat has something to do with shared memory. Thus, try disabling shared memory on cygserver.conf. Look for the line which says:

#kern.srv.sharedmem yes

Uncomment it and change the yes to no. Restart cygserver, remove the contents of /usr/share/postgresql/data and run initdb. Let's see what happens.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo
------