Re: Problem with automatic logon using sshd

At 03:49 PM 7/19/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want to trigger an automated build on a windows box from a unix box.
>I?ve setup cygwin with sshd. The build command that is executed runs
>devenv.exe (Visual Studio .NET 2003) with a solution file and build target.
>
>Two scenarios that show different results:

>User must enter a password when logging on using ssh.
>-> In this case the build command succeeds.

>The user?s public key is added to the authorized_keys file.
>Now no password is needed.
>-> The build command fails with ?Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library :
>Runtime Error!? (found in the Windows ?System Log?)
>

>#1 and #2 are done with the same user and the same ssh client from the same
>Unix machine.
>
>I have compared the env after logon, they are identical.
>
>Apparently there is a difference between #1 and #2 in how the user gets
>impersonated though cygwin.
>
>Any hint is welcome!

The runtime error isn't very helpful, since it specifies very little about
what went wrong.  However, if you're seeing different behavior depending on
whether you use password or pubkey auth, then the problem is most certainly
because VC++ is looking for access to some shared resource for which you
have not been authenticated by Windows with ssh.  Typically, that's a
Windows share of some kind.  Your choices are:

  1. Make the share available to everyone.

  2. Run the sshd service as the user who will use ssh.  You'll need to
     add more permissions to that user to make this work.  See the openssh
     README for more info.

Either should work, although (2) is considered far less secure.

The email archives has volumes on the ssh password vs pubkey authentication
issue, if you're looking for more details/variations.

Holliston, MA 01746